Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lines of Inspiration- A Critique on Renoe Alexander (Musical Artist)

Looking at a number of artists, visual and musical, I can't help but think of their sources of inspiration. Anything from a landscape with cultural roots to a preceding artist. The thought that you can take influences from multiple places and compile them into this mess of ideas and thoughts to call your own.

I've recently been on a musical artist kick, in particular Yann Tiersen, Chris Garneau and Johnny Cash. All different sides of the musical spectrum, but none of them compromising their musical genieus. I travel from song to song, video to video trying to understand these artists; look at influences and look for cultural references. I fell into a moment of weakness this week though.

An artist, in his own right, Renoe Alexander displays his videos on youtube. After listening to a number of his covers, though well sung, I was under-whelmed and frustrated. He was very accurate in duplicating a style. Distinct styles that these other artists encompass. Bringing little to nothing of his own, not even other influences. I kept telling myself, "if I want to hear this song, I can just listen to the original version." But I neglected to think about his intention. Was it his intention to make these covers to expand his musical vocabulary? To show off his ability to duplicate? In my hasty judgement, I developed this tunnel vision and closed my mind.



I've recently downloaded his free EP, called "For When Your Skin is Cold." Safe to say, I was hasty. This EP is like many others, mostly organic in nature. Mainly acoustic and recording equipment isn't the best, but this lends itself to a more honest experience. With a mix of classic seasonal songs and some original songs by the artist, it is a nice little compilation of musical range and self expression. With his voice being subdued at times and whiley at others, it is a good start for this artist. Though in the covers, I would like to see more personality shine through, they are nicely done. With much room to grow, this is a major accomplishment for any artist. Good luck Mr. Renoe Alexander.

No comments:

Post a Comment